India’s 10 Best Summer Destinations for Perfect Vacation
Without doubt, India’s summer is very hot, challenging and humid. However, it is not the same with the entire country. There are numerous spots to get away from the scorching rays of sun. As you reach the lofty altitude destinations in the country or escape in the wild beach destinations, you can choose to enjoy a pleasing tropical vacation.
Here are 10 such iconic summer destinations in the country.
When it comes to summer vacation in North India, one of the best choices is Ladakh. Located in Jammu and Kashmir, this myriad is an interesting destination for wildlife lovers, romantic travelers and pilgrims. The gorgeous views of mountains, serene monasteries and the colorful culture adds more value to this land of valley and snow.
Top things to do in Ladakh are:
- Enjoy the culture of the land by watching festivals or staying in any of the monasteries of Ladakh.
- Spot snow leopards in Hemis National Park
- Take a camel safari on the exotic double-humped camel (Bactrian).
- Take a bike ride along the world’s highest mountain passes, which can be scaled in a motor bike.
- Visit and camp near Pangong Tso
- Explore Zanskar Valley
The nearest airport is located in Leh and the nearest railway station is Tawi, which is located in Jammu, 700 km away from the destination. If you are choosing to reach Tawi via train, you can find cabs or buses from the railway station to Ladakh.
Suggested Tour Package:
Read More: Complete Travel Guide To Plan Your Ladakh Trip
Out of the numerous summer destinations in Himachal Pradesh, Manali is an important and exclusive one. This is the place, which gets the advantage of beauty from Dhauladhar and Pir Panjal ranges of the mighty Himalayan family. Manali is one of the exotic and idyllic honeymoon destinations in the country. It is also an important adventure destination of the land.
Top exotic activities to enjoy in Manali are:
- Paragliding, yak riding, hiking, hand gliding and other adventure activities
- Visit Jogini Fall, Vashisht hot water springs and others for water activities
- Take yak safari in the wildlife sanctuary of Manali.
- Explore the ancient temples and monasteries of the region.
The nearest airport is Bhuntar airport, which is 50 km away from Manali. The nearest railway station is Una, which is a broad gauge. The station is 245 km away from Manali.
Suggested Tour: 15 Nights / 16 Days – Best of North India with Himalayas Travel
Read Also: Adventurous Sports in Manali; Paragliding
Some destinations never get old. One such cliché destinations to beat summer heat is Shimla. Thanks to the altitude and mountain climate, this place is cool, exotic, has unique vegetation and provides a romantic environment. The city is very easily accessible, when compared to other hill station of such an altitude. Shimla is the summer capital of the country and is one of the much-preferred summer retreats in the country since the British Rule.
Things to do in Shimla are:
- Sightseeing, picnicking, hiking, camping and others
- Reach Chadwick waterfall for a dip.
- Enjoy adventure activities.
- Visit Lakkar Bazaar for shopping.
- Explore ancient churches.
- Reach viewpoints to enjoy sunset and sunrise.
The nearest airport is Jubbarhatti domestic airport, which is just 23 km away from the hill town. The nearest railway station is the Kalka railway station in Shimla.
Suggested Tour Package: 5 Nights / 6 Days – Delhi Shimla Manali Tour
Read more: Top Places to enjoy Snowfall in India
This is one of the hidden paradises of the country. Out of the numerous beauties of central India, Pachmarhi of Madhya Pradesh stands at the top. This summer destination is for those who love a leisure and slow vacation out of hustle of the city life. The forest filled region and cultural beauty make this place, more alluring and distinct.
Top activities to enjoy in Pachmarhi are:
- Sightseeing, camping, trekking and hiking
- Visiting Apsara Vihar waterfalls, Bee Falls, Pachmarhi Lake and other water activity destinations
- Explore the Pandava Caves, Jata Shankar caves and Draupadi Kund of the region.
The nearest airport is located in Bhopal, which is 195 km away from the hill town. It is just an airstrip and frequency of flights to Pachmarhi is very low. The best option to reach is train. The nearest railway station is Pipariya railway station, which is around 47 km away from Pachmarhi.
Suggested Package: 9 Nights / 10 Days – Central India with Agra Trip
Must Read: Top 10 Fascinating Summer Destinations in India
If you mix summer and south India, Munnar is the right answer. Located in the state known for its natural beauty, Kerala, Munnar is the epitome of beauty of Kerala. This winding hill station is very famous for all kinds of vacation, throughout the year. When it is summer, it is the time of colorful wildlife and exclusive romance. This ultimate rejuvenating destination is a cliché summer destination of the land.
Top summer activities to enjoy in Munnar are:
- Visit Kundala Lake for a Shikara ride.
- Mountain biking, cycling, camping, trekking and others.
- Elephant safari and other activities at wildlife sanctuaries of Kerala like Carmelagiri park, Raja Mountain and others.
- Visit Echo Point, Elephant Lake, Anamudi peak and others.
- Stroll through tea and coffee estate. Visit the Tata tea museum too.
- If budget accommodates luxury, explore any spice plantations and stay in one of the resorts inside the plantations.
- Spend a night in any tree house accommodation.
The nearest airport is located in Cochin. This international airport is 125 km away from the hill station. The nearest railway station is Aluva railway station, which is around 110 km from the destination.
Suggested Tour Package: 8 Days – Kerala Honeymoon Package
Also Read: Munnar – Famous Hill Station in Kerala
If you are planning to enjoy summer in Tamil Nadu, you have two grand options. One out of those is Kodaikanal. Tagged as the emblem of honeymoon in India, this is a simple quaint hill station, which will leave your vacation, surrounded by clouds, literally. The hill station is filled with grasslands, forests, lakes, meadows and waterfalls. Around every corner, there is an interesting attraction awaiting you.
Top summer activities to enjoy in Kodaikanal are:
- Visit Kodaikanal Lake for boating, strolling, horse riding and others.
- Explore Mannanur for trekking, coracle ride and others.
- Trek to Kukkal Caves.
- Visit museums and view sunrise and sunset point.
- Enjoy picnic closer to any waterfalls.
- Visit Bryant Park in the evening for some strolling time.
- If you are into yoga, you ought to visit Kodaikanal Yoga Center.
The nearest airport is located in Madurai, which is 120 km away from the hill station. The closest railway station is located in Palani, an important pilgrimage destination, which is just 66 km away from Kodaikanal.
Travel Package: 14 Nights / 15 Days – Tamilnadu & Kerala Tour Package
Suggest Article: Madurai – Stunning Destination Unplugged For Tourists
Are you looking for an offbeat destination, yet with all natural beauty of a cliché one? It is time to pack your bags for Yercaud. This is a small hill town, filled with plantations and lakes. This pretty destination is one of the few places to spot orange plantations in southern India. The weather of summer will be pleasing and romantic.
Top summer activities to relish in Yercaud are:
- Cycling, hiking, trekking, camping, picnicking and others.
- Visiting coffee, tea and orange plantations.
- Visit Emerald Lake for boating and other activities.
- Enjoy a panoramic view from the Lady’s Seat.
- Visit Pagoda Point at sunset.
- Visit Killiyur Falls for water activities and sightseeing.
- Spot animals at the deer park.
The nearest airport and railway station are located in Salem, which is just 38 km away from Yercaud.
Tour Packages: 6 Nights / 7 Days – South India Temple Tour
Read More: Top 10 Cities to Visit in South India
Ooty is a prime destination for enjoying summer in Tamil Nadu. When it comes to hill station, Ooty is called as the queen of all. Located in the Nilgiri Blue Mountain ranges, this place is famous for the lush vegetation and clear cool climate, which attracts family tourists.
Top summer activities to enjoy in Ooty and surrounding regions are:
- Visit Doddabetta peak for sightseeing and panoramic view.
- Visit Ooty Lake, Emerald Lake, Avalanche Lake and Upper Bhawani Lake for water activities and others.
- Enjoy a toy train ride in the Nilgiri Toy Train from Mettupalayam to Ooty. It is a heritage site of the land.
- Visit ancient churches in exotic locations.
- Explore the toda huts of tribes of the land.
- Mountain biking, hand gliding, cycling, camping and water activities are some of the adventure activities to enjoy here.
- Visit botanical garden and parks for a peaceful evening time.
The nearest airport is located in Coimbatore, which is 105 km away. The nearest railway station is in Mettupalayam. From Mettupalayam, you can choose to either ride the Toy Train to Ooty or take a cab ride along the hairpin bends of the mountain to reach Ooty.
Suggested Tour Package: 6 Nights / 7 Days – Munnar Tea Gardens with Ooty Hill Station
Read On: Top Most Memorable and Romantic Gateways of India
9. Andaman Islands
It is not always about hill stations. You can get away from the heat, without running to heights. If you prefer water a lot and a little sun, now and then, it is time for the Hollywood styled beach vacation in the shores of India. A little away from the main land of India, lies hundreds of islands clustered together as Andaman group of Islands.
Top summer activities to enjoy in the island of Andaman are:
- Explore the beaches, enjoy water activities, sun bathing, picnicking and others.
- You can find almost all water and underwater activities here.
- Visit Mahatma Gandhi Marine national park.
- If you are too much into water sports, you ought to visit Rajiv Gandhi Water Sport Complex.
- Explore the cellular jail of India.
- Radhanagar beach is the best place for exotic sightseeing.
- Banana boat ride, parasailing, undersea walking, swimming, glass bottom boating and others are the top activities to enjoy.
The nearest airport is located in Port Blair. There is no train route to Andaman. You can visit Andaman via ship from Chennai, Vizag or Kolkata. Some prefer to ride seaplane or private helicopters to reach Andaman for luxury experience.
See Also: 30 Best Places to Visit in India
10. Mount Abu
If you were stuck in the hottest region of India during summer, you would still be closer to a hill station. Mount Abu is the only hill station in the otherwise completely arid and hot destination of Rajasthan. This is the hill station and evergreen spot in this desert region. Filled with temples, forts, lakes and ranges, this hill station is a platter of everything for your vacation.
Top summer activities to enjoy in Mount Abu are:
- Explore the ancient temples and pilgrimage sites of the region.
- Enjoy boating in Nakki Lake.
- Explore Achalgarh Fort, Peace Park, Crocodile Park and others.
- Pony ride is a very common activities.
- Camping, trekking and hiking are some of the adventure activities to enjoy here.
- Watch the sunset from the Sunset Point.
The nearest airport is located in Udaipur, which is 185 km away from Mount Abu. The nearest railway station is Abu Road railway station, which is just 28 km away from the hill town.
Suggested Package: 8 Nights / 9 Days – Rajasthan Mumbai Tour from Delhi
Read more: 10 Places to Visit in Mount Abu for Honeymoon
Other important summer destinations of the land are Mahabaleshwar, Coorg, Araku Valley, Lakshadweep, Shillong, Darjeeling, Tawang and others.