Top 15 Monsoon Destinations in India
India is well known for its spellbound beauty during the monsoon season. The monsoon starts in June and ends in October. The Western Ghats, Andaman Nicobar Islands and Leh Ladakh are the famous places to visit in monsoon season. Southwest and northeast monsoon are the two types of monsoon that hits India. There are so many destinations in India which are famous as monsoon destinations for vacation.
Rainfall offers an awesome vacation of the delicious smell of earth, light raindrops, gentle winds, relaxing weather and many more. During the monsoon season, the mountains and hills are carpeted with greenery, the waterfalls make you fall in love with them and the lakes overflow with sparkling water.
Here is the list of Top Monsoon Destinations in India
Ladakh is an amazing place located in Jammu & Kashmir. It is the best place to visit during the monsoon season especially during the Ladakh Festival which takes place from 17th to 27th September. Historical monuments and Buddhist monasteries are the major tourist attractions for visitors. It is a rain shadow area, which indicates there will be less rainfall. It is especially magical for its snow-covered mighty mountains and crystal clear lakes. It is also well known for spectacular white-water rafting, challenging treks, masked dances at Gompas and for the food.
Major Attractions in Ladakh
Changla Pass, Ladakh Festival Tour, Pangong Lake, Thiksey Monastery
- By Road: It will take 12 hours from Delhi(1262 km)
- By Train: Jammu Tawi is the nearest railway station
- By Airport: Leh is the nearest airport.
Also explore the reason behind Why to visit Ladakh?
Shillong is located in Meghalaya and is one of the best monsoon destinations because it receives heavy rainfall. It is well known for numerous waterfalls, picturesque valleys of Jayanti hills and Khasi hills. It is the capital of Meghalaya and located at a height of 1496 meters. The city is well known for activities like boating and rock climbing. The other places to visit are Elephant falls, Mawjymbuin caves, Laitlum Canyons and Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Culture.
Major Attractions in Shillong
David Scott Trail, Shillong Peak, Elephant Falls, All Saints Cathedral, Sohpetbneng Peak.
How to Reach Shillong
- By Road: The NH 40 connects Shillong to the rest of the Indian cities. There are private and government buses serving most major cities to Shillong.
- By Train: Guwahati is the nearest railway station which is located at a distance of 100 kilometres.
- By Airport: Shillong does not have an airport in the city. The nearest airport to the mountain resort is Umroi Airport, near Barapani, about 25 kilometres away.
3. Spiti Valley
Spiti Valley is located in Himachal Pradesh, and is also known as “Little Tibet”. This place is well known for its mesmerizing beauty and mystical. It is the most visited place during the monsoon season. It is located at an altitude of 12,500 feet above sea level. Himalayan snow cuts Spiti from all over the country for about 6 months a year, the summer months are the only time Spiti can be accessed directly via the toll road. Viewing Wildlife Sanctuaries and Camping are the things to do in Spiti valley and is ideal for nature lovers, culture vultures and adventure enthusiasts.
Major Attractions in Spiti
Pin Valley National Park, Lhalung Monastery, Chandratal, Suraj Tal, Dhankar Lake, Kunzum Pass
How to Reach Spiti
- By Road: Spiti is well connected by road to other cities and neighboring states from May to November.
- By Train: The closest stations to the Spiti Valley are the Joginder Nagar and Shimla stations.
- By Airport: The closest airport to the Spiti area is Kullu Airport in Bhuntar, Kullu. This airport is well connected to the major cities of the country.
Udaipur is located in Rajasthan and is well known for glorious past, beautiful lakes and numerous forts & palaces. City Palace, Lake Pichola, Lake Palace, Lake Garden Palace, Vintage Car Museum, Bagore Ki Haveli, Saheliyon Ki Bari, Jagdish Temple, Shilpgram, Moti Magri are the best places to visit in Udaipur.
This place is ideal for heritage lovers and honeymooners. Boating and sightseeing are the things to do here. It had some sparkling lakes with the backdrop of the Aravali hill.
Major Attractions in Udaipur
- By Road: Udaipur is well connected with all the major cities by road.
- By Train: Udaipur contains its won railway station, which is connected with all the major stations in India.
- By Airport: Maharana Pratap airport or Dabok Airport or Udaipur Airport is the nearest airport which is located at a distance of 22 km from the city.
Did you Know that – Why Udaipur is famous as most Romantic Place in India?
Coorg is located in Karnataka and is well known for dense forest. Coorg is also known as Kodagu, which is the most affluent hill station in Karnataka. You can visit the beautiful town like Somwarpet, Pollibetta, Gonikoppal, Kushalnagar and Virajpet.
It is the largest coffee producer in India, and it receives the highest rainfall across the nation. Brahmagiri and Pushpagiri in Coorg are the best places for trekking. Sprawling green landscapes, beautiful waterfalls, mystical mountain tops and rich flora and fauna are the major attractions in Coorg. This is one of the famous monsoon destinations in India.
Major Attractions in Coorg
Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Kotebetta, Jog falls
How to reach Coorg
- By Road: It takes 5 hours to reach from Bangalore (270.4 km).
- By Train: The nearest railway stations are Mangalore, Mysore and Hassan.
- By Airport: The nearest airports are Banglore which is located at a distance of 260 km, Mangalore airport which is located at a distance of 135 km and Mysore airport which is located at 120 km distance.
6. Andaman and Nicobar islands
Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a group of 570 islands and it is well known for thrilling water sports, amazing wildlife, mountains, silver sand beaches and tribal tour. It is one of the popular monsoon destinations. Trekking, snorkelling, scuba, sightseeing and jet skiing are the things to do in this Island. It is ideal for nature lovers, beach lovers and adventure enthusiasts. White Surf Falls and Whisper waves are the 2 waterfalls located here.
Major Attractions in Andaman and Nicobar
Historical Cellular jail, little Andaman, Havelock Island.
How to reach Andaman and Nicobar
There will be regular ship service from Kolkata, Vishakapatnam and Chennai. There are direct flights or connecting flights to the airport Port Blair, the capital.
Also read – Top 10 Things to Do in Lakshadweep
Kodaikanal is also known as the “Princess of the hill station”, and is located in Tamil Nadu. It is situated in the Palani hills, western ghat and is located at an altitude of 7000 feet above the sea level. Berijam Lake is a popular place to visit in Kodaikanal. Whether it’s boating in the lakes, taking a walk in the hills, exploring caves or even offering prayers in places of worship, the activities in Kodaikanal are almost endless. Trekking, sightseeing and boating are the things to do here. This place is ideal for nature lovers.
Major Attractions in Kodaikanal
Palni hills, Berijam Lake, Kodai lake.
How to reach Kodaikanal
- By Road: It takes 9 hours from Banglore to reach Kodaikanal(450 km).
- By Train: Palani and Kodaikanal are the nearest railway stations.
- By Airport: Madurai is the nearest airport which is located at a distance of 135 km, Trichy is located at a distance of 200 km and Coimbatore is located at a distance of 170 km.
Goa lies on the west coast and is one of the smallest states in India. Panjim is the capital city of Goa and is well connected with roads and international airports. With a coastline stretching more than 100 kilometres, Goa has many beaches that attract millions of visitors. While Calangute and Baga are more popular among the Indian family crowd, Arambol and Anjuna attract many foreign tourists.
Bird watching, shopping, heritage tour, trekking, scuba and Jet ski are the things to do in Goa. It is ideal for beach lovers, nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts and party animals.
Goa is also famous for Yoga. Here are the list of Top Yoga Retreats in Goa
Major Attractions in Goa
Dudhsagar waterfalls, Aguda fort, Dolphin show, Nightlife in Casino, Baga beach.
- By Road: All the major cities are well connected with Goa. It is well connected with cities like Mumbai.
- By Train: Goa is well connected with Vasco-da-Gama and Madgaon stations.
- By Airport: Dabolim is the Goa International airport.
Read more – Top 10 Places to Visit in Goa
Planning your Goa Treat just go through about Which is Best Goa? – North vs South Goa Attraction
Lonavala is located in Mumbai and is the best monsoon destinations to explore. The ghats and the Sahyadri mountain ranges will rejuvenate with a pleasant climate, breathtaking waterfalls and alluring greenery. ’ Lonavala’ is a Sanskrit word which refers to the ‘group of caves’. Rajmachi point, Lohagad Fort, valvan Dam, Karla caves, Bhaja Caves, Tiger’s Leap, Tikona Fort, Tung Fort are the places to visit in Lonavala. This place is ideal for nature lovers. Horse riding, camping, sightseeing and trekking are the things to do here.
The tiger point, Karla caves built by Buddhist monks, waterfalls near Bushi dam
- By Road: It takes 1 hour 26 minutes(67.1 km) from Pune and 1 hour 45 minutes(83.6 km) from Mumbai.
- By Train: It has its own railway station, and most of the trains will run through this.
- By Airport: It is located at a distance of 100 km from Mumbai International airport.
Munnar is located in Kerala and is the best monsoon destinations to visit in South India. It is well known for its lush green hills, vast tea gardens, pleasant climate and romantic atmosphere. It is a paradise in God’s own country.
Once known as the High Range of Travancore, Munnar developed as a tea-producing area from 1880 onwards. At present, it is the commercial centre of some of the tallest tea plantations in the world, the most widely operated by the giant company Tata.
Major Attractions in Munnar
Anamudi Peak, Attukal waterfalls, beautiful lakes in Devikulam.
How to reach Munnar
- By Road: It takes nearly 3 hours 40 minutes to reach Munnar from Cochin.
- By Train: Aluva and Ernakulam are the nearest railway stations to Munnar.
- By Airport: Cochin airport is located at a distance of 110 km, Madhurai international airport is located at a distance of 140 km.
Read More –
Ranikhet is located in Uttarakhand and is one of the most popular monsoon destinations in India. It is famous for majestic views of the Himalayan Ranges, lush green forests and pleasant climate. Chaubatia Garden is the most popular tourist attraction and is known for its variety of flowers. Beautiful Hindu temples envelop the city with countless blessings and stunning views of Nanda Devi. Temple hopping and trekking are the best things to do here. This place is ideal for nature lovers and honeymooners.
Major Attractions in Ranikhet
Snow Leopards, birds, the valley of flowers, endangered animals like an Asiatic black bear.
How to reach Ranikhet
- By Road: All the major cities of Uttarakhand and Northern India is well connected with Ranikhet.
- By Train: There is no direct train route between New Delhi and Ranikhet. You can take the Utr Samprk K Ex from New Delhi to Kashipur and then take a taxi from Kashipur to Ranikhet.
- By Airport: Pantnagar is the nearest airport to Ranikhet, which is located at a distance of 115 km.
12. Jog Falls
Jog falls is located in Karnataka, and it contains 4 distinct cascades named as Rani, Raja, Rocket and Rover. These 4 cascades merge to form a huge waterfall.This is the best monsoon destinations to visit. It is one of the highest waterfalls and is the major attraction of Karnataka. It is created on the Sharavathi River and also known as Jogada Gundi, Gersoppa Falls, Gerusoppe falls. Bird Watching and Nature walks are the things to do here. This place is ideal for honeymooners and nature lovers.
Know more about – 10 Most Popular Waterfalls in Karnataka, You Must Visit!
Major Attractions in Jog Falls
Sharavati River, Thyvare Koppa Lion and Tiger reserve, Tunga Anicut Dam, Linganamakki Dam, Dabbe falls.
How to reach Jog Falls
- By Road: It takes 6 hours to reach from Banglore. (430 km)
- By Train: Shimoga is located close to Jog Falls, which is at a distance of 101 km.
- By Airport: Mangalore airport is the nearest to Jog Falls. It is located 243 km from the Jog Falls.
Read More –
- Best National Parks To Visit In Karnataka
- Badami Caves Karnataka : Temple, Things to See, Food, Shopping, Hotels
13. Valley of Flowers
Valley of Flowers is located in Uttarakhand and it comes alive during the monsoon season. It is the awesome monsoon destinations for exploring nature and hiking. 300 different varieties of flowers are present around the Himalayan valley, which looks like a bright carpet with the snow-capped background.It contains wild roses, blue corydalis, delphiniums, geraniums, red potentillas.
Valley of flowers is also known as the bouquet of nature. It was declared as the National parks of India in 1982 and is now UNESCO world heritage site. It is the 2nd core zone of Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve. From May to October, Valley of flowers will change its colours according to the season. Hundreds of different flowers will blossom here.
Things to Do: Trekking, bird watching, wildlife photography
Major Attractions in Valley of Flowers
Hemkund Sahib, Ghangaria, Gaurikund, Badrinath Temple, Vasudhara Falls, Govindghat, Nanda Devi National Park
How to reach Valley of Flowers
- By Road: Buses cross the well-connected roads to Govindghat, the nearest stop, about 12 km from the actual location.
- By Train: Rishikesh is the closest nearest train station, 272 km from the Valley. Regular buses cross between Rishikesh and Lembah Bunga.
- By Air: Dehradun is the nearest commercial airport, which is located at a distance of 158 kilometers.
Read more –
- Top Tourist Attractions and Things to Do in Nainital, Uttarakhand
- Best 10 Places to Visit in Uttarakhand in Summer with Family
Alleppey is a well-known tourist place in Kerala. During the monsoon season, the place will look greeny and pleasant. Kerala fish curry and spicy karimeen fry are the famous dishes you must try in Alleppey. Shikara is never missing the place and another interesting attraction during the monsoon season in Alleppey.
Here are the list of Top 10 things to enjoy in Alleppey during Monsoon Season.
Allepey is popularly known as ‘the Venice of the East’. Offering the best sights in Alleppey, this charming spot is the hub of Kerala’s backwaters and is home to an extensive network of backwaters and over a thousand barges. Alleppey has some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. And the best part is that they are still in their blank form and intact because they do not meet a lot of visitors.
Things to Do: Bird watching, explore the beaches, boating
Major Attractions in Alleppey
Alappuzha Beach, Marari Beach, Kuttanad Backwaters, Karumadi, Alleppey Lighthouse, St. Andrew’s Basilica Arthunkal, Pandavan Rock
How to reach Alleppey
- By Road: Allepey is accessible via NH-47, and is well connected with major cities like Coimbatore, Bangalore, Chennai, Kozhikode, Kovalam, Kochi.
- By Train: It is well connected with Cochin and Trivandrum Railway stations.You can hire a cab or taxi to reach here.
- By Air: The nearest airport to Alleppey is Cochin International Airport, which is located at a distance of 75 kilometres. From there you can hire a taxi or cab to reach this place.
Read more –
- Complete Travel Guide to Trivandrum, Kerala
- 6 Romantic Kerala Beaches to Watch Sunset View
- Top Six Best Beach Resorts In Kerala
Manali is one of the most famous India’s monsoon destinations. The snow-covered peaks and perfect harmony of green landscapes will make this place an awesome one. It is slightly difficult to travel this place during the monsoon season but is definitely a worthwhile trip for adventure seekers.
The places to see in Manali include Solang valley, Rohtang pass, Great Himalayan National park. You can search for brown bears and gorgeous snow leopards in Manali. With more than 25 lakh visitors each year, Rohtang Pass is one of Manali’s most popular attractions. Linking the valleys of Lahaul and Kullu, the Rohtang Pass is famous among nature lovers, photographers and adventurers.
Things to Do: Mountain biking, skiing, photography
Major Attractions in Manali
Solang Valley, Rohtang Valley, Beas River, Hadimba Temple, Manali Nature Park, Jogini Waterfalls, Buddhist Temple, Mall Road
How to reach Manali
- By Road: Most of the visitors prefer to visit Manali by road from Delhi.
- By Train: Being a hilly region, Manali doesn’t contain any railway station. There are train services from Delhi to Pathankot and Joginder nagar. The distance from Joginder nagar is 126 km and from Kullu is 285 km.
- By Air: The closest airport is Bhuntar, about 50 km from Manali. Air India and Kingfisher Airlines have flight services from Leh to Bhuntar, Shimla, Chandigarh, Delhi.
Shimla is also known as the Gateway to the Himalayas. It is one of the most popular beautiful hill stations in India. You can enjoy the raindrops which seem to be magical, sipping your favourite coffee, the bliss of walk-on lanes which are covered with fog.
Shimla is the Queen of Hill stations and is the most visited tourist spot in Himachal Pradesh. The famous attractions of Shimla are The Ridge, Jakhoo Hill, Mall Road, Kalka-Shimla Railway, Summer hill, Kufri. There are famous temples in Shimla like Jakhu Temple of Lord Hanuman, Tara demigoddesses.
Things to Do: Fishing, trekking, skiing, ice-skating, golfing
Major Attractions in Shimla
Annandale, Jakhoo Hill, The Scandal Point, Ridge, The Shimla State Museum, Himalayan Bird Park, Tara Devi Temple, Lakkar Bazaar, Green Valley
How to reach Shimla
- By Road: All the major cities like Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Jaipur and Delhi are well connected to Shimla.
- By Train: Chandigarh railway station is located at a distance of 113 km and Kalka railways station is located at a distance of 90 km from Shimla. From there it is well connected with cabs and local buses.
- By Air: Jubarhati is the nearest airport, which is located at a distance of 23 kilometres.
Planning your India tour during Monsoon Seasons then you are also able to explore few famous monsoon festivals of India which is very interesting and colorful, and it is must explore by every foreigners to know about Indian culture and tradition.