Interesting and Unusual Facts About India
You might have learnt a lot about India, its tourism attractions, the heritage, culture, festival and others. Do you want to learn a little more about India that would drop your jaw?
- About hundred million years ago, India was an island.
- Kumbh Mela is a religious festival in India. In 2012, 60 million people gathered in the same place to attend this festival making it the largest gathering in the world and this mass of gathering was photographed from the satellite.
- It is illegal for any foreigner to take Indian currency out of India.
- There are more than a million millionaires in India and more than 35% of Indians live below the poverty line.
- Himalayas in India has the tallest peak in the world. It grows an inch taller by every year. You can find a lot of monasteries in these mountains.
- Breathing the air of Mumbai at the peak time is equivalent to smoking 100 cigarettes. Yet, the most polluted city in India is not Mumbai. It is New Delhi.
- 70% of the spices in the world come from India.
- The Golden Temple in India feeds about hundred thousand people in India with no regards to their religion or race.
- A land that was in dispute between India and Bangladesh disappeared due to global warming, solving the case.
- The oldest inhabited place that is still in use is Varanasi, India.
- An impression of the meteor that hit the earth millions of years ago is in Maharastra. It is called as Lonar Lake.
- There is a hill in Ladakh in India that has magnetic properties which is strong enough to pull a car upwards.
- Chess, buttons, shampoo, cataract surgery, plastic surgery, pi (mathematical value), zero, algebra, trigonometry and diamond mining were invented in India.
- A river in India is considered to be cursed and no one touches the water. Since water is required for cooking, people who live around the river just eat fruits and raw vegetables.
- The world’s only granite temple is in Tamil Nadu. Brihadeswara Temple was built in 11th
- India has the largest family in the world. A man lives with his 39 wives and ninety four children in the same house.
- World’s only floating post office can be found in Dal Lake, Srinagar.
- The wettest place on earth is in India. Khasi Hills and Cherrapunji in Meghalaya have the highest recorded rainfall in the world.
- The first rocket in India was taken to Thumba on a bicycle. The satellite was brought in a bullock cart.
- India is the one place to have a spa for elephants in Punnathoor, Kerala.
- A poll booth is erected during every election in Gir Forest for a single voter, Mahant Bharatdas Darshandas.
- Other than India, no other country in the world has tigers and lions together. There are only 4000 tigers left in India.
- Visit a Chinese styled Indian temple for the goddesses Kali only in Kolkata.
Suggested Tour Packages: 6 Days Golden Triangle Tour
There are a lot more unusual things happening in India. Come and visit India to witness them for real.
You may also like to Read: 15 Reasons Why You Should Visit India
Suggested tour: 14 days family holiday in Kerala
Best offer on 17 Days India & Nepal tour