Airports are the places where we can connect to the cities around the country and the world. A flight to get to our destinations in a short time so get ready to visit these popular airports in India.
They showcase the brilliant architecture with state-of-the-art technology that takes you places. More and more upcoming airports are in the making all over the country to take you to fly high.
Some are equipped with the amenities as per international standards these top class international airports and others are set in the picturesque backdrop of nature, greenery, and even snow mountains.
Few of the airports mentioned here also are close to the top tourist destinations in India so take time out. You could explore the region around.
With the airfare dropping low and lower due to several reasons, now traveling by flight has become popular among many and is also affordable. The air traffic is more than ever before in India.
There are airports that are famous for the number of passengers they cater to each day and the record number of aircrafts that take off and land here. Some airports amaze the passengers with the showrooms, eateries, and so many things to explore at the airport itself.
They showcase a good picture and draw attention of the tourists. The domestic as well as international airports are scattered all around the sub – continent, the nation of India busiest, popular, picturesque, world – class, etc. It is time that you should check it out for yourself.
Most of the people are aware that the two major metros Delhi and Mumbai also house the best and remarkable airports that are special in several ways. These two international airports also feature in the Top 50 Best Airports in the World (at present) to spend a layover even for longer duration.
Here is a list of such leading airports in India with their specialty.
1. Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi
This is one of the most popular international airports in India spread over a whopping 5106 acres. It is presently the largest airport in the country catering to over 40 million passenger capacity annually.
It has three runways and the sixth largest terminal in the whole world. Although the busiest airport in India with cargo and passenger traffic it is famed for the punctuality, user-friendly app, clear signage, and customer entertainment options such as eateries and shopping options. It is situated in Palam which is south west of Delhi and sixteen kilometers from the city center.
It is one of the top class international airports as it is the 10th busiest airport in the country and 21st busiest airport in the world in the year 2016.
2. Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai
The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport is second busiest airport in the nation, fourteenth in the continent of Asia, and 29th in the world!
The scenic airport is a great example of fine architecture and is known for conveniences and comforts provided as well as efficient and environmental care. It runs over 750 hectares with three to five terminals operated and services 42 million passengers.
The best-in-class international airport in the country is run by the Mumbai International Airport Limited. This airport has a record aircraft movement of nearly 1000 in one single day. The major international airports in India was named of the Emperor of Maratha called Chhatrapati Shivaji.
3. Chennai International Airport, Chennai
The Chennai International Airport is one of the top airports in India especially regarding cargo facilities and international as well as overall passenger traffic with almost eighteen million. Moreover, this major international airport in India is also the regional headquarters of Airports Authority of India in South India.
However, there are some state-of-the-art facilities are lacking on international standards although it has done up several expansions including taxiways and parallel runways. There are many different things that this one of the leading airport in India is famous for.
It is also the first ever in India to house a satellite terminal as T6 for passenger traffic. It is said to be one of the top and best international airports in India with domestic and international terminals and this airport situated in the Madras Metropolitan Area.
4. Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore
One of the most crowded airports in the southern state of Karnataka the Kempegowda International Airport caters to over 20 million passengers annually with the international and domestic visitors sharing the check-in hall. Spreading across a whopping 15000 sq. feet., 4000 acres of land, it also houses a new expansive terminal Code F aerobridge enough to contain an Airbus 1380 aircraft.
The popular south Indian airport is a hub for airlines such as Alliance Air, IndiGo and AirAsia India. It is situated on the outskirts of Bangalore city and is the first ever airport in India to completely operate on solar power.
5. Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad
This is one of the top international airports in India and is a hub for airlines such as GoAir, Quikjet Cargo, and Cargo Blue Dart Aviation. This airport is famous for the Service Quality and is also one of the busiest airports in India with a passenger count of 40 million with smooth going crowds control.
It is situated in the picturesque outskirts of Hyderabad called Shamshabad and is environment conscious too. It is also one of the biggest international airports in India with 96 check-in desk and 46 immigration counters and spreads over 5400 acres of land.
Moreover, the specialty of the airport is the unique architecture as flights are parked in lined alignment. The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport of Telangana only has one terminal presently but caters to many popular international cities.
6. Dabolim Airport, Goa
Situated in a military base roughly 30 kilometers distance from the city of Panjim or Panaji it is one of the most crowded airports handling over 7.6 million travelers on flight.
This is the only airport in the entire state of Goa and is one of the busiest in the entire country. It is also called Goa Airport and spreads across 638 hectares and includes an integrated terminal for passengers’ sake.
Moreover, the design of the airport looks similar to an illusion sight by the Arabian Sea side. It runs aircraft from Middle East and domestic flights catering to over 130 flight movement on a daily basis.
7. Kolkata International Airport, Kolkata
The Kolkatta or the Dum Dum Airport as it was earlier called because it is situated in the Dum Dum area West Bengal. It is called Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport after 1995 and is well connected to various world cities.
There are several airlines operating flights here including Blue Dart Aviation, DTDS, Air India, Deccan Aviation, IndiGo, Jet Airways, and others. The hub of international airlines is spread across a massive region of over 1640 acres and is the fifth largest airport in the country as in passengers traveling.
The airport also got recognized by Airports Council International for title ‘Best Improved Airport in the Asia-Pacific region’ award in the year 2014 – 15.
8. Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport, LehWith major tourist attractions in India such as Spitnuk Monastery in close proximity this is one of the most delightful airports in the country. Another great specialty of this airport is its altitude making it one of the highest located airports in India.
It is perched at 3256 meters above sea level with mighty brownish mountains and hills in the vicinity. The Great Himalayan mountain ranges are visible too giving a spectacular view to the passenger with intriguing landscapes around.
There are frequent and regular aircraft that connect from the Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport in Leh to other major cities in the country including Mumbai, Delhi, Jammu & Kashmir, and Chandigarh. Without a doubt, you can call it one of the highest airports in the entire country!
9. Srinagar International Airport, SrinagarIt is a joint ownership of the Airports Authority of India and the Indian Air Force. The popular name for this airport is Sheikh ul-Alam International Airport as it is called and serves as a military air base. It is situated in the lush green meadows with mesmerizing surroundings in Srinagar.
It operates 2 terminals for domestic / international chartered flight operations for major cities in the world. The specialty of this airport includes the asphalt runway and the Integrated terminal.
Moreover, the massive Himalayas overlook this airport making it one of the most scenic airports around the country and gives a dreamy and distinguished feel to the passenger. It connects with other airports in major cities in different parts of India.
10. Shimla Airport, ShimlaThis is one of the most picturesque airports in the world due to its proximity with the great snow capped Himalayan mountains. It is situated only 22 kilometers from the main capital city of Himachal Pradesh called Shimla.
The Shimla Airport enables bliss to the passengers as they can witness the aircraft landing right with the Himalayas in view. Situated in the district called Jubbarhatti it is perched at an altitude of 5000 meters high.
One amazing fact about this Shimla Airport is the making of the airport after the hilltop it sits atop was done with leveling work after crushing it. This major airport in the state of Himachal Pradesh connects flights to various cities in the country.
11. Gaggal Airport, KangraThis is one of the airports that is situated in a scenic area of the northern state of Himachal Pradesh in India. It has the top tourist attractions in India such as Dharmshala and Kangra and the airport gets its name too as Kangra Airport which it is popularly called.
This is one of the eminent airports in the list of top popular airports in India and it is situated in the place called Gaggal in a district of Kangra. As it is situated to Himalayan ranges this is one of the airports that is situated close by.
However, it is operated by the Indian Air Force and is also connected with the national capital of the country.
12. Lengpui Airport, MizoramThis is another beautiful airport situated in the region of Northeast India in a state called Mizoram. It is set amidst grandeur of nature with the green meadows and hilly and mountainous region.
This is the main airport for the Northeast people of India as this airport connects the region with the rest of the major cities in India. There are airlines and flights that connect with cities such as Kolkatta and Guwahati to Lengpui airport in Aizawl on an everyday basis connectivity. Moreover, there are also flights that run three times in a week to Imphal.
The climate is also very pleasant as it is situated at an altitude of 2500 meters above sea level. The specialty of this lush airport is the dreamy sight of hills and streams below.
13. Veer Savarkar International Airport, Port BlairYou surely can’t imagine an airport more exciting than this one. Situated in the scenic location of the islands of Andaman and Nicobar, the Veer Savarkar International Airport is one of the most intriguing airports in the country.
The striking location of this international airport with the blue ocean waters around and the deep green rain forests gives a holiday feel and helps the passenger have a dreamy journey with abundance of nature all around it. Are you all ready to book your trip to Port Blair which is one of the top tourist destinations in India?
14. Agatti Airport, LakshadweepThis is one of the most picturesque airports in the world as it is surrounded by the azure blue waters of the Arabian Sea. This is one of the best domestic airports in the country that connects Lakshadweep to cities such as Kochi and Bengaluru.
The airport is comparably smaller in size given its location and the airport building terminal can only cater to a maximum of 50 passengers at busy times. The Airports Authority of India handles the Agatti Airport at Lakshadweep.
It is an exciting trip to this airport with is the one single airstrip running through the south western coastline of India in the Arabian Sea linking up the archipelago.
15. Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, GuwahatiSituated over 25 kilometers from the main city center the airport is also serves as airbase to the Indian Air Force. This is one of the most popular airport with convenient flights to connect with the major cities in North East India.
This is one of the top 10 busiest airports in India and is managed by the Airports Authority of India. Located at Borjhar district in the state of Assam, it is also called as Guwahati International Airport but got its name as Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport after Gopinath Bordoloi, the historic freedom fighter.
16. Coimbatore International Airport, CoimbatoreThere is something very unique about this airport and the visitor who travels here will definitely talk about it. The specialty of this international airport in Coimbatore city, situated in the south western region of the country is that it operates entirely on a solar powered utility grid system.
It is situated only thirteen kilometers from the main Coimbatore city in the region called Peelamedu. As of now the Coimbatore International Airport is one of the few airports in India that is completely solar powered.