Travel Guide to Kochi – Queen of Arabian Sea
Kochi is the Gateway to Kerala. It was called as Cochin in the past. The place is encapsulated with Western Ghats and Arabian Sea. This place is famous for its natural reserve and beauty that it was captured by many colonies before becoming a part of independent India.
Kochi is filled with tourist attractions, natural beauty, monuments, forts, beaches and much more. Kochi is an important honeymoon destination and family vacation spot. Starting from lagoons to hill station, this place is filled with different styles of land forms etched in magical beauty.
Where is Kochi located ?
The nearest international airport is located in Kochi. It is 27 km away from the center of the city. You can find frequent flights from Chennai, Coimbatore, Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and others. You can find international flights from South Asian countries and Middle East.
Kochi is served with Ernakulum railway station, which receives trains from many important cities around the country. Ernakulum Town Station is another train station where you can find many intercity trains and a few long distance trains. You can find busses and cabs from various parts of the country. Frequent government and public busses reach Kochi from different cities and states in the country.
Best time to visit Kochi
The summers start in March and ends by June. The climate is very warm, humid and dry. The temperature can go as high as 37 degree C. Dehydration is very common during this season. This is the lean season of tourism.
Monsoon starts in July and ends in September. The place receives moderate rainfall. Humidity will be averagely high in this season. The place is interestingly beautiful during this season. You can find many water activities and Ayurvedic treatments during the end of monsoon season.
Winter starts in October and ends in February. The climate will be pleasing and cold. Rainfall is minimum or scarce during winter. All water activities will be available. Ayurvedic herbs will be at bloom. All natural attractions will be at prime beauty. This is the peak tourism season in Kochi.
Places to visit in Kochi
Top places to visit in Kochi are:-
- Willingdon island – water activities, photographic spot and beach activities
- Fort Kochi – Dutch cemetery, Chinese fishing net, synagogue, churches, exhibition and others
- Marine Drive – aesthetically pleasing spot overlooking backwaters
- Bolgatty palace – sightseeing
- Mattancherry palace – temple, art exhibit, exploration, portraits and others
- Jewish Synagogue – sightseeing
- Veeranpuzha lake – backwater cruise, houseboat, lagoons, beaches and others
- Vasco da Gama square – strolling, relaxing and watching fishermen in action
- Mangalavanam bird sanctuary – migration and resident birds
- Hill palace – sightseeing, heritage museum, archeological museum, deer park, children’s park, pre-historic park and others
- Jew town – sightseeing
- Kalady – sightseeing and pilgrim spot
- Princess street – walking tour to enjoy ancient buildings
- Santa Cruz Basilica – pilgrim spot
- Cherai beach – sunset, beach activities, picnic spot and others
- Folklore museum – sightseeing and watching live dance performance
- Greenix village – performance art center
- ParikshithThampuran museum – ancient coins, painting, artifacts and others
Read More: Top Six Best Beach Resorts In Kerala
Top activities to enjoy in Kochi are
- Sunset cruise and watch Chinese fishing net in action near Fort Kochi
- Backwater houseboat
- Live art performance at Greenix Village or other cultural center
- Play, bath and enjoy with elephants at Elephant Training Center in Kodanad
- Ayurvedic treatments
- Water activities
- Boating at Marine Drive
- Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and other activities with instructors
Shopping in Kochi
Top items to buy in Kochi are spices, handicrafts, brass items, ivory items, handicrafts made with coconut shell, antiques, Ayurvedic oil and herbs and others. Top shopping spots to visit in Kochi are
- MG road
- Bazaar road
- Jew Town
- Marine Drive
- Oberon Mall
Suggested article:- Bangalore To Kochi – On Road Experience
Read some more travel information about Kerala:-
Suggested itinerary for Kerala trip:-