Dashashwamedh Ghat - Travel tips
Out of 88 ghats of Varanasi, Dashashwamedh ghat is the most famous and most visited one. This is mainly due to the Ganga Aarti that takes place in the ghat, every evening. Apart from this, the ghat is famous for many tourist activities and pilgrim purposes. This is the oldest ghat of Varanasi.
Where Dashashwamedh Ghat is Located?
Dashashwamedh ghat is located very close to the Kashi Vishwanath temple. It is also very close to Jantar Mantar.You can find auto rickshaw or car from bus stand or railway station to reach Godaulia. From Godaulia, one need to walk for 5 – 10 minutes to reach the Ghat as no vehicle is allowed near it.
Why this Ghat is so famous ?
The ghat is more crowded during evenings and during Shivratri celebration. In the early morning, you can find many rituals and activities happening in the ghat. It is best visited during winter due to the calm climate. During eclipse, you can find many people taking a holy dip in this ghat.
- Every evening, a group of priests performs a synced ritual to praise Goddess Ganges. Thousands of pilgrims and numerous tourists visit this ghat during evening to witness the ceremony. It is an important spot for photography in Varanasi.
- There are numerous famous temples and tourist attractions near the ghat.
- Boating from the ghat is a major tourist attraction. Boating at sunrise and sunset are considered more aesthetically pleasing.
- Early morning bathing in the ghat is assumed to wash off sins. You can find many people bathing in the ghat.
- Special rituals will be conducted in the ghat on Tuesdays and festivals
- Pouring milk into the river from the ghat is said to be a holy act. You can find numerous devotees pouring milk into the river, during evening
History of Dashashwamedh Ghat
There are a lot of myths and legends related to the ghat. It is said that Lord Brahma welcomed Lord Shiva to the earth by sacrificing ten horses at Dashashwamedh ghat. Das – ten; Ashwa – horse and medth – sacrifice. The ghat was restored in 18th century twice. It is also said that in the 2nd century, a king scarified ten horses in this ghat.
Accommodation Near Ghat
There are numerous budget and luxury hotels found near Dashashwamedh ghat. Top ones to check are :
- Brijrama Palace
- Balaji Atithi Ashray
- Diamond Hotel
- Hotel Ganges Inn
- Sri Omkar palace
- Hotel SLE residency
Shop and eat
There are numerous shops and restaurants near the ghat for souvenir shopping and eating.
Travel Tips Before you Go
- The ghat will be crowded beyond your imagination during Ganga Aarti. Be cautious with your children and belonging.
- Though the water is considered holy, it is not pure. There are many initiatives to pure the water but, as of now, the water is not pure and it is not recommended for drinking.
- Children with sensitive skin should avoid bathing in the river too.
- Since crowd is guaranteed, it is better to reach the ghat at least an hour before the Ganga Aarti to get a good view.
- You can hire boats to Dashashwamedh ghat or from the ghat to watch the ritual from the water.
- You can also watch the ritual from any roof top hotel near the ghat.
- Boat cost are higher at Dashashwamedh ghat than other ghats