Munnar – Famous Hill Station in Kerala
Munnar is a small but energetic hill station located in Kerala. In the past, it was an important summer retreat spot of British. This place is an iconic honeymoon destination because of the exotic scenic value, natural beauty and the climatic condition. The local language translates the term ‘Munnar’ as three rivers. This indicates the three river, River Periavaru, River Mattupeeti and River Nallathanni that flow through the region.
Top Activities to enjoy in Munnar
1. Scenic drive to Munnar and the surrounding region is the first attraction of numerous tourists. Choose early morning or afternoon to enjoy the lush greenery. As the darks ascend, the smog covers the region restricting your visibility for sightseeing and driving.
2. Visit regions around Munnar like Atukkad waterfalls, Chithirapuram and others.
3. Chithirapuram is also the best place to visit tea plantation too.
4. If you are looking for some viewpoints, visit Pothamedu view point, Echo Point, Top Station and Photo Point. Afternoon is the best time to visit if you are visiting in winter.
5. If you love flora, you ought to visit Flori culture center for spotting foliage plants and flowering plants.
6. Horse riding, boating, picnic and other activities are open in Mattupetti Dam.
7. Hire speedboat to enjoy scenic view of the jungle and the hills at Kundala Lake.
8. If you are interested in learning about tea, visit tea museum
9. Eravikulam national park is famous for spotting rare animals, trekking, spotting Neelakurinji flower and others.
What makes Munnar special?
2. This is also the native for Neelakurinji, a bluish purple flower that blooms only once in 12 years. It has recently bloomed in 2006.
3. Munnar also holds the highest peak of Southern India, Anamudi. This peak is open for tourists to trek to the top.
4. You can also spot the rare mountain goat here. Morning is the best time to visit Eravikulam National Park to spot the goats.
Best time to visit Munnar
The tourism season starts in October and ends in May. The place is at prime beauty throughout the year except during the rainy season. The summers are mild and short-lived here. By the middle of June, you can experience showers, which last until September. During winter season, the place becomes slippery and many activities will be closed for the season. This is the lean tourism season.
Summer starts in March and ends by May. The summers are pleasing and the chances of smog is less. You can enjoy viewpoints better during this season. This is also the season for flowering plants and vegetation. Winter starts in October and ends in February. This is the coldest time of the year and the most beautiful time too. This is the best time for tea tourism.
How to reach Munnar?
Munnar is located in Kerala, which holds one of the few very busy international airports in the country. The nearest international airport is located in Cochin. It is 110 km away. Madurai airport is located in Tamil Nadu and is 140 km away from Munnar. From the airport, you can find buses and cars to reach Munnar.
Train is also available from Madurai, Ernakulam and other destinations. The nearest railway station is located in Aluva, which is 110 km away from Munnar. You can find buses, cars, trucks and other transportation from the railway station to the hill station.
The nearest major city to Munnar is Kochi, which is 3.5 hours away from it. The road is narrow and curvy. On the way, you can spot beautiful spots like Kothamangalam, Adimali and many others. People also drive from Kodaikanal to Munnar via Theni.
Check out How to Reach Kerala?
Where to stay in Munnar?
Munnar is divided into two regions. The Old Munnar is the place where you can find tourist information office and other government buildings. It is harder to find accommodations here. The Munnar is the region where you can find the bus stand. Around this region, you can find accommodation of varying budget level. For luxury lovers, there are numerous resorts, five star hotels and boutique hotels in the hill station. You can find hotels with fantastic view or lodging in the middle of a plantation.
You can also find small dorm houses, lodges and simple accommodation for those who wish to save a little in accommodation. If you are looking for cheaper accommodation, choose hotels that are at sea level, rather than at the peak of the hill station. You can also read our famous article related to Where to stay in Munnar? 6 Best options.